Tactical calm exercise for stress management
Learning how to breathe properly will enable you to secure moments of calm and clarity throughout your life. These exercises are not only for elite athletes and soldiers, who need to perform under immense pressure. Any time you feel stressed, overloaded, disengaged or withdrawn use effective breathing to regain coherence and boost your resilience.
- Keep your spine light and long.
- Let your shoulders roll backward and down.
- Breathe through your nose.
- Relax your chest and let your sternum sink downward.
- Exhale for 6 seconds.
- Inhale slowly and evenly, aiming for about 4 seconds.
- Keep your chest, neck and face relaxed
- Allow your belly and side ribs to expand and contract
- Notice your pulse, muscle tone, and skin.
You are welcome to adjust the breathing rhythm. 5 seconds exhalation, a 2 second pause, then 3 seconds inhalation is also effective.