A programme designed to build resilience in teachers and students
The Resilience Institute is dedicated to sharing our framework with educators around the world. Our goals are to:
- Enrich the lives of teachers
- Lift teacher engagement
- Increase classroom impact
- Keep teachers safe, well and effective
- Help teachers “walk the talk”
- Assess and build student resilience
Resilience underpins all 5 key competencies of the NZ School Curriculum.
1. Introductory sessions
Short session of 90 – 120 mins to each cluster. The objective of the keynote session is to give participants confidence and practical understanding in the basic disciplines of resilience and introduce the key concepts.
2. Teacher training
Includes Resilience Diagnostic and Workshops. For individual schools, we suggest a slightly longer half day session or, if possible, a whole one-day programme for teachers and support staff.
3. Teacher accreditation
We offer ‘train the trainer’ programmes to help integrate Resilience into the daily culture of each school or at each cluster. The Skills developed through this training will support teachers in many aspects of their life and leadership.
4. Students & parents
Engage our team to help introduce the concept and practices of resilience to students, parents and families. Our diagnostic and online training is available to spread the language and skills of resilience across your school community.
An evidence-based toolkit for success
Step 1 – Introductory sessions
The objective is to give participants a practical introduction to the basic disciplines of resilience. This is usually delivered as a short face-to-face workshop or webinar.
Participants will understand the program design, including an introduction to our Resilience Spiral. Programme objectives:
1. Resilience definition
2. Understanding how resilience fails and rapid bounce techniques
3. Mastering the calm and focused state (biofeedback exercise)
4. Sleep and success rituals (stretching and balance)
5. Daily disciplines of sustainable success in life and leadership
6. The high EQ leader (impulse control and positivity)
7. Attention, focus and the quiet mind
Introductory sessions are an effective way for clusters, CoL / Kāhui Ako and schools to explore, catalyse, or start the resilience journey.
Step 2 – Teacher training
Comprehensive training in the core competencies of resilience.
The objective is for participants to understand how to develop and apply resilience skills in real-time.
For individual schools, we suggest a half or full day programme for teachers and support staff. Where numbers of participants are large (>30), we suggest dividing the group into a series of half-day workshops, run over one day or more if necessary.
Webinars provide a cost-effective approach to delivering resilience training and may replace face-to-face engagements depending on budget and availability.
The Resilience Diagnostic assessment is a core component of our training. It provides each participant with a blueprint of their resilience (on a secure and confidential basis). Group results enable benchmarking at a group level.
Video training, delivered via our Resilience App reinforces the concepts and provides a wealth of training segmented into micro-learning videos, available 24/7 for teachers to use.
Step 3 – Teacher accreditation
We offer ‘train the trainer’ programmes to help integrate resilience into the daily culture of each school or at each cluster. The skills developed through this training will support teachers in many aspects of their life and leadership.
What you receive:
1. Resilience Coach training and accreditation
2. The skills to administer and coach with our Diagnostic tools
3. Training to design and facilitate resilience training in-house
4. Certificate of accreditation and competence as a resilience coach
Step 4 – Students, parents & family
Our classroom resource pack is designed to build resilience in students and their families.
The pack includes:
- Teacher resources
- Posters and graphics
- Resilience animations
- A parent guidebook
- Student Diagnostic – optional
- Group results – optional
Outcomes of the learning journey:
- Build student self awareness
- Focus students on key practical skills
- Learn to play to strength and counter gaps
- Personal online learning tools in a safe environment
- Inspire students to reach their full potential through proven practices